last of my 38th year

Quito, Day Three
19 Dec 4

I know you guys like to think of me standing before a city, my steel grey eyes intent with the thoughts of the adventures before me. My long brown hair blowing in the wind, my shirt straining against my muscular chest and large biceps. Frankly that hasn’t been the case.

I’ve still got a touch of something going on, and I’m still not sleeping. On Saturday night, I was up until 3 a.m., tossing and turning, wanting to sleep. I wake about 8:30 a.m., still tired, and hoping that this will end at some point. I grab a quick shower and head out into the world. I find a little place called the Magic Bean, which caters largely to tourist. This means three things. One, the quality of the food will probably not make me sick. If it made westerners sick, it would harm their business quickly. Secondly, it’s a nice enclosed courtyard. This means that I can type away on my laptop out of the sight of locals. I don’t think locals are prone to criminality, but just the same, I think a display of wealth (such as my Precious AKA – My sexy little laptop) is a bad idea. Lastly, I can probably get a latte. I have a nice pancake breakfast with eggs done perfectly, and typed up the last two days of my journey (hopefully the ones you’ve just read.)

After typing another couple hundred words, I decide to walk around and see if I can find the bus station, which is located near the Old Town. I find it easy enough, even though the entrance was rather hard to find. Busses to Cuenca leave pretty often, which is the information I needed. On Monday I’m leaving town. Once again I’m back in the bustling heart of the city – Old Town. While I’m walking around, I notice that you see the occasional Christmas tree or someone wearing a christmas themed hat. Oh, and about three dancing Santas, which people always stare at. It’s kind of weird not being bombarded by holiday crap. I like it.

Old Town today is nice enough and I get some halfway decent pictures. I’m still not feeling great. Maybe it was the jostling from the bus ride, or maybe I’m still sick. I don’t know, but I don’t like it. I take a bus back, closer to my part of town and walk the rest of the way home. It’s getting to be later in the day (4:30 – 5 p.m.) so I think that dinner is in order. First I want to upload my blog entries, so I chance upon a GREAT internet cafe. Great – why is it great, you ask. Well, they are set up to let you use your own laptop. Score. And the internet connection is relatively speedy. Double score. I spend a couple of hours downloading, uploading and sideloading (whatever that is.) My last journey I used a PC laptop with a Nikon camera. On this one, I’m using a Mac (Precious) with a Canon camera. I’m having a hard time getting my photo workflow in order. On my PC, I had a pretty good system. Download from the camera, put into a folder with the format (NAME-NEF) NEF being the raw format for Nikon. Then batch convert them to jpg, which are smaller and easier to work with. Then I find the ones I want for posting on the web, run them through a program that resizes and places them in a nice format for posting to the web. Later I post them to the web, and my work is done. I don’t have most of the programs I need for doing that on the Canon/Mac world. Once I get it figured out you’ll see pictures.

After my journey along the internet, I grab a pizza at a nondescript pizza joint, and head back to my room. Once in my room, my stomach was making more noise than a republican on tax day. It was very, very painful, and I had images of my death. I recovered eventually, and was only up till 2:30 a.m. Heck, I only tossed and turned for an hour. Things are looking up as my 38th year draws to a close.

One Comment

  1. Hey Greg,

    Nice to see the narrative has started (and your personality comes shinning through). Have a Merry Christmas and I’ll look for you on the flipside.

    Later! –Austin

Comments are closed.