1. Stop the Symantec Antivirus service and the Symantec Antivirus Definition Watcher service.
2. Download the latest .xdb (virus definitions file) to the desktop from Security Response:
3. Remove or rename the .zip extension, i.e. vd1a9607.xdb.zip. The file should look similar to the following: vd1a9607.xdb
4. Download the latest –i32.exe (Intelligent Updater package) to the desktop from Security Response:
When following this process, ignore the note on the top of this page that says to not use this program with Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition.
5. From the primary server, open Windows Explorer and browse to the location where Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition server was installed.
Windows – C:\program files\SAV
(The folder name may be NAV, Symantec Antivirus or Symantec Client Security depending whether the product was upgraded and how it was installed.) From the \SAV folder delete all files with .VDB and .XDB extensions.
6. Browse to \SAV\I2_LDVP.VDB folder and delete both vdb and xdb sub folders.
Windows – C:\Program Files\SAV\ I2_LDVP.VDB. Skip this step if you are doing this process on a client. There is no I2_LDVP.VDB folder on a client install.
7. Browse to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs Delete all the numbered folders and any folders or files with a .TMP extension (if they exist).
8. Run the –i32.exe file on the desktop. That will create a new numbered folder in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs.
9. Edit the usage.dat in:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs
So that the number in the hard brackets  is the same as the new numbered folder that was created in step 8.
10. Move the new .xdb file from the desktop to the \SAV folder.
11. Restart the Symantec Antivirus Definition Watcher Service, then the Symantec Antivirus service.
12. Open SSC and hit F5 periodically and you should start seeing clients and secondary servers updating in a short period of time. F5 will refresh the screen.